Undergraduate Research Grant 2001-2002 Winners
Seventeen winners have been chosen as recipients of Psi Chi Undergraduate Research Grants. The competition provides funds for Psi Chi members to defray the cost of conducting a research project. The winners, along with their schools, research advisors, and project titles, are listed below (in alphabetical order)
- Leslie Atkinson-Rogers, University of Texas at San Antonio
Research Advisor: Dr. Mary E. McNaughton-Cassill
Project Title: "Revisiting the Emotional Writing Paradigm: An Analysis of Coping Styles and Comparison With the AA Writing Inventory"
- Nathan Corley, Wheeling Jesuit University (WV)
Research Advisor: Dr. Bryan Raudenbush
Project Title: "The Effects of Odor Administration on Personal Characteristic Ratings"
- Keith F. DeSonier, Jr., Christian Brothers University (TN)
Research Advisors: Drs. Rodney J. Vogl and Sandra D. Nicks
Project Title: "The Use of Computers in Group Decision Making: Are Better Decisions Made Online?"
- Timothy M. DiGiacomo, Fairfield University (CT)
Research Advisor: Dr. Judy Primavera
Project Title: "Using Computer Technology in a Therapeutic Environment"
- Kim Farmer, University of Central Arkansas
Research Advisor: Suzie Booher, MS
Project Title: "Correctional Facility Factors Predicting Juvenile Recidivism"
- Stacy Flowers, Otterbein College (OH)
Research Advisor: Laura Bennett Murphy
Project Title: "The Effects of Father's Involvement on Child's Adjustment to Cancer"
- Eric Green, Bucknell University (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Chris Boyatzis
Project Title: "Adolescent Mental Health: Cross-Culture Perspectives of Mental Health Professionals, Parents, and Adolescents"
- Kelli E. Houser, State University of New York College at Buffalo
Research Advisor: Dr. Pamela Schuetze
Project Title: "The Association Between Maternal, Child, and Caregiving Characteristics and Child Compliance"
- Meghann Meehan, Pepperdine University, Seaver College (CA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Cindy Miller-Perrin
Project Title: "Perceptions and Psychological Adjustments in Child Witnesses and Nonwitnesses of Domestic Violence"
- Julia Misak, Southwestern Oklahoma State University
Research Advisor: Dr. Melinda C. R. Burgess
Project Title: "The Development of the Cross-Race Effect"
- Karen S. Mitchell, Virginia Commonwealth University
Research Advisor: Dr. Suzanne Mazzeo
Project Title: "Binge Eating Disorder and Depression in Ethnically Diverse Undergraduate Men and Women"
- Lynette Nickleberry, Stephens College (MO)
Research Advisor: Dr. Deborah Hume
Project Title: "Institutional Support and Academic Success"
- Andres DeLos Reyes, Florida International University
Research Advisor: Dr. Wendy K. Silverman
Project Title: "Interpersonal Dependency: Associations With Child Internalizing Symptoms and Ethnic Differences"
- Laura Venuto, Ithaca College (NY)
Research Advisor: Dr. Nancy Rader
Project Title: "Gender-Related Effects of Praise on Undergraduates' Cognitive Performance as Related to Peer and Authority Roles"
- Brigitte Vittrup, Southwest Texas State University
Research Advisor: Dr. G. Marc Turner
Project Title: "Positive Rap: Improving Attitudes Through Music"
- Caroline Courtney Wood, Christian Brothers University (TN)
Research Advisors: Drs. Sandra Nicks and Rodney Vogl
Project Title: "Experiences of Can-cer, Just Worldview, and Religiosity"
- Carrie L. Yochum, Franklin and Marshall College (PA)
Research Advisor: Professor Charles Heyser
Project Title: "Dominance and Its Effects on Ethanol Self-Administration in Male Wistar Rats"