Undergraduate Research Grant 2003-2004 Winners
Thirty-one Psi Chi members are recipients of the 2003-04 Psi Chi Undergraduate Research Grants. This grant program, which was launched in the 1997-98 school year, provides funds for Psi Chi members to defray the cost of conducting a research project. The winners, along with their schools, research advisors, and project titles, are listed below (in alphabetical order).
- Rebecca Leigh Adams, Saint Anselm College (NH)
Research Advisor: Dr. Kathleen Flannery
Project Title: "An Integrative and Novel Approach to Diagnosing Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)"
- Stephan Adair, Christian Brothers University (TN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Rodney Vogl
Project Title: "Use of Pre-Exposure and Gender Schemas in the Recollection of Characters in a T. V. News Story"
- Iris Beltran, Pomona College (CA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Joelle K. Greene
Project Title: "How Does Acculturation Influence the Effects of Peer Relations and Parental Identification on the Development of Adolescent Latinas’ Body Image?"
- Nicole Blanchett, Southwestern University (TX)
Research Advisor: Dr. Jaqueline Muir-Broaddus
Project Title: "Predictors of Decision-Making in College Seniors"
- Sarah Brand, Connecticut College
Research Advisor: Dr. John C. Chrisler
Project Title: "A Comparative Study on the Effects of Westernization on Vietnamese Women"
- Jamie Brown, Franklin and Marshall College (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Maryjo Rattermann
Project Title: "The Effects of Birth Rank on Personality: Perceptions of Self, Family, and Others"
- Aubrey Buckert, Southwestern University (TX)
Research Advisor: Dr. Jesse Purdy
Project Title: "The Role of Congruence Between the CS and VS and the Role of the VS Determining the Nature of the CR in Cuttlefish"
- Richard Brian Cano, Texas State University-San Marcos
Research Advisor: Dr. Harvey Ginsburg
Project Title: "Pedestrian Risk-Taking at Crosswalks: Natural Observations"
- Joshua Chiappelli, Saint Mary’s College of Maryland
Research Advisor: Dr. Aileen Baily
Project Title: "Behavioral Functions of 5-HTIA Receptors in Prefrontal Cortex of Rats"
- Jed Cohn, Colgate University (NY)
Research Advisor: Dr. Regina Conti
Project Title: "Uniqueness Versus Equality: Conformity Across Individualistic Cultures"
- Lauren A. Cox, Christian Brothers University (TN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Rodney J. Vogl
Project Title: "The Effects of Perceptions of Others’ Weight on Personality Assessments During On-Line Conversations"
- Zina A. Eluri, University of Florida
Research Advisor: Dr. Greg Neimeyer
Project Title: "Preparing for Graduate Study in Psychology: A Controlled Study"
- Hsiao-Ping Georges Han, Florida International University
Research Advisor: Dr. Wendy K. Silverman
Project Title: "Differentiation of Self and the Romantic Relationships of College Students: Associations with Anxiety and Aggression"
- Jennifer Howard, University of Southern Maine
Research Advisor: Dr. Bill Thornton
Project Title: "The Prototype/Willingness Model and Risky Decision-Making: Placing Others at Increased Risk"
- Jamie Grinnell Gum, University of Washington
Research Advisor: Dr. Stephanie Carlson
Project Title: "Limitations of Self-Regulation in Preschoolers"
- Connie Isele, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Research Advisor: Dr. Lori James
Project Title: "Age Related Changes in Word Retrieval"
- Kristin Janschewitz, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
Research Advisor: Dr. Timothy Jay
Project Title: "Language Processing with Taboo Stimuli"
- Kristin Leiby, Albion College (MI)
Research Advisor: Dr. Amy L. Otto
Project Title: "The Problem of Social Desirability: Introducing Continuous Response Measurement in Making Social Judgments"
- Carrie Little, Auburn University (AL)
Research Advisor: Dr. Chris Correia
Project Title: "Alcohol and Choice Behavior Among College Students"
- Rachel MacNutt, Randolph-Macon Women’s College (VA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Beth Schwartz
Project Title: "Examining Drawing as a Scaffolding Strategy for Improving Reading Comprehension and Retention"
- Justin Madaus, Albright College (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Andrea Chapdelaine
Project Title: "Police, Citizen, and Inmate Perceptions of Police"
- Hallie Marx, University of Alabama
Research Advisor: Dr. Kristine Lokken
Project Title: "Using the Stroop Paradigm as a Quantitative Measure of Psychopathology for Diagnosing Bulimia Nervosa"
- Ashleigh Maxcey, Purdue University (IN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Robert Melara
Project Title: "Electrophysiological Tests of Attentional Training in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder"
- Julia Meyers, Macalester College (MN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Lynda Labounty
Project Title: "Observational Learning in the Rat"
- Felicity Fangtan Miao, Stanford University (CA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Jeanne L. Tsai
Project Title: "Manipulating Affect Valuation: Safety and Change Values"
- Renee K. Mowery, Shippensburg University (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Kim Weikel
Project Title: "A Correlational Study of College Adjustment in Overtly and Covertly Narcissistic Students"
- Caitlyn Owens, Franklin and Marshall College (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Charles Heyser
Project Title: "The Effects of Overshadowing and Maze Learning in Rats"
- Elizabeth Jocelyn Rahn, Auburn University (AL)
Research Advisor: Dr. Martha C. Escobar
Project Title: "Inhibition of Delay in Pavlovian Appetitive Conditioning"
- Devon A. Seward, Albright College (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Brenda J. Ingram-Wallace
Project Title: "Normative Sample and Reliability Data Collection for the Elderly Mental Status Intake Evaluation (EMSIE)"
- Melissa Kaye Tibbits, University of Tulsa (OK)
Research Advisor: Dr. Dennis R. Combs
Project Title: "Attitudes Towards Others"
- Phillip R. Zoladz, Wheeling Jesuit University (WV)
Research Advisor: Dr. Bryan Raldenbush
Project Title: "Augmenting Memory, Attention, Reaction Time, Problem Solving, and Responsive Variability Through Orthonasal Odorant Administration"