2004-05 Undergraduate Research Grant Winners
Twenty-six Psi Chi members are recipients of Psi Chi Undergraduate Research Grants. This grant program, which was launched in the 1997-98 school year, provides funds for Psi Chi members to defray the cost of conducting a research project. The winners, along with their schools, research advisors, and project titles, are listed below (in alphabetical order):
- Kristina Austin, James Madison University (VA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Sherry L. Serdikoff
Project Title: "Investigating the Spontaneously Hypertensive Rat (SHR) as an Animal Model of Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD): An Observing Procedure"
- Holly Brothers, Ohio State University
Research Advisor: Dr. Gary Berntson
Project Title: "Potentiation of the Acoustic Startle Response in Rats Produced by Cat Fur and by Social Situations With an Intruder"
- Brittany Bulleit, DePauw University (IN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Matthew Hertenstein
Project Title: "The Communication of Emotion via Touch and Gesture"
- Shawn A Carter, Concord University (WV)
Research Advisor: Dr. Rodney Klein
Project Title: "Contextual Conditioned Inhibition as a Treatment for Classically Conditioned Fear"
- Cristin L. Cox, Christian Brothers University (TN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Rodney J. Vogl
Project Title: "An Examination of the Fading Affect Bias and the Effect of Oxygenation in Individuals With Dysphoria"
- Andrew Cummings, Ithaca College (NY)
Research Advisor: Dr. Nancy Radar
Project Title: "The Effects of Plant Viewing on Well-Being and Cognitive Performance"
- Vicky L. Elias, Oklahoma State University
Research Advisor: Dr. Charles I. Abramson
Project Title: "Does Eye Color Influence Behavior in Drosophila Melangaster?"
- Miriam Fenton, University of Pennsylvania
Research Advisor: Dr. Melissa Hunt
Project Title: "Cognitive Therapy for Specific Phobia: Imaginal Ability and Treatment Matching"
- Emily Goldberg, Connecticut College
Research Advisor: Dr. Jason Nier
Project Title: "An Investigation of the Effects of Voluntary Desegregation Programs on the Self-Esteem and Racial Indentity Development of Students of Color"
- Liana M. Guzman, Connecticut College
Research Advisor: Dr. Joan C. Chrisler
Project Title: "The Effects of Western Culture on the Self-Perception of Genitally Cut African Immigrant Women"
- Laila Hochhausen, Connecticut College
Research Advisor: Dr. Joan Chrisler
Project Title: "Sexual Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of Adolescent Women in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and New York City"
- Erin M. Jackson, Louisiana State University
Research Advisor: Dr. Katie E. Cherry
Project Title: "The Effect of Social Support on Physical Health in Older Individuals"
- Katerina Koscova, Western Illinois University
Research Advisor: Dr. Kristine Kelly
Project Title: "Recovering From Rejection: Apology, Future Inclusion, and Restoring Threatened Needs"
- Sarah L. Levin, Drexel University (PA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Steven M. Platek
Project Title: "Accommodating to the ACGME Work Rules Requirements for Medical Residents: Which System is Least Disruptive to Resident Sleep and Reaction Time?"
- Peter Marks, Pomona College (CA)
Research Advisor: Joelle Greene
Project Title: "The Relationship Between Response Modulation and Social Success in Adolescents"
- Margaret A. McCullough, DePauw University (IN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Matthew J. Hertenstein
Project Title: "The Effects of Televised Emotional Displays on Infant Behavior"
- Mei Yi Ng, University of California at Berkeley
Research Advisor: Dr. Serena Chen
Project Title: "Self-Knowledge Functions of Significant Others"
- Jessica Owens, Mount Union College (OH)
Research Advisor: Dr. Jeffrey S. Smith
Project Title: "Effect of Enriched Environment on Recovery of Function Following Medial Frontal Cortex Contusion"
- Alicia M. Porter, Northwest Nazarene University (ID)
Research Advisor: Dr. Glena Andrews
Project Title: "The Effects of Caffeine on Visual Decision-Making Tasks"
- Erica Prentkowski, Purdue University (IN)
Research Advisor: Dr. Robert D. Melara
Project Title: "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Adults: Processing Gains to Statistically Correlated Events"
- Sheryl R. Schindler, San Francisco State University (CA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Ted Steiner
Project Title: "Stereotype Threat and Lift"
- Karen Schreiber, Brandeis University (MA)
Research Advisor: Dr. Derek M. Isaacowitz
Project Title: "The Relationship Between Preference, Attention, and Memory in Magazine Advertisements in Adulthood and Old Age"
- Cathy Tran, University of California, Santa Barbara
Research Advisor: Dr. Heejung Kim
Project Title: "Social Support, Obligation and Stress: A Cross-Cultural Analysis"
- Kevin T. Webster, California State University, Fresno
Research Advisor: Dr. Lorin Lachs
Project Title: "Use of Lipreading Information to Support Perceptual Learning of Speech Under a Novel Acoustic Transformation"
- Alexa Xanthopoulos, Connecticut College
Research Advisor: Dr. Joan Chrisler
Project Title: "A Cross-Cultural Study of Objectified Body Consciousness and the Prevalence of Eating Disorders in Women"
- Jennifer Yardley, Utah State University
Research Advisor: Dr. Melanie Rodriguez
Project Title: "College Cheating: Opinions and Behaviors"