Dear Psi Chi members,
I hope this letter finds you doing well and enjoying the start of fall.
- Welcome to the members of our 2015–16 regional steering committee: Dr. Barbara Acker-Mills (Tuskegee University, AL), Dr. Steven Berman (University of Central Florida–Daytona Beach), Dr. Gina Mariano (Troy University, AL), Michael Szeman (Winthrop University, SC), and Ashley West (Carson-Newman University, TN).
- Dr. Alicia Briganti (Dalton State College, GA) will continue her service as our regional representative to the Psi Chi Diversity Advisory Committee.
Plan to Attend SEPA 2015
- The 2015 SEPA convention will be March 30–April 2 in New Orleans, LA.
- Undergraduate researchers still have until November 13, 2015, to submit their work to the CEPO/Psi Chi Undergraduate Poster Session at SEPA. The submission process has been streamlined to one, simpler online application available HERE.
- We will be organizing a social event for students as well as the annual appreciation luncheon for our faculty advisors at SEPA. Stay tuned to our Facebook group for more details.
- If you are at SEPA, stop by our exhibit booth to say hello and join us at our Psi Chi programs. Below is the tentative schedule.
Psi Chi's 2015 SEPA Schedule
- Graduate School Session
Preparing for and Managing the Graduate School Application Process
Speaker: Barbara Acker-Mills (Tuskegee University, AL) and Gina Mariano (Troy University, AL)
Thursday, 10–10:50 a.m.
- Graduate School Workshop
Practical Advice for Writing Your Personal Statement for Graduate School
Speaker: Merry Sleigh (Winthrop University, SC)
Thursday, 11–11:50 a.m.
- Psi Chi Distinguished Lecturer
The Science of Sexy: Clothing, Objectification, and Sexism
Regan A. R. Gurung (University of Wisconsin–Green Bay)
Thursday, 1–1:50 p.m.
- Psi Chi Symposium
Surviving Your "Freshman" Year in the Workplace With a Bachelor's Degree
Presenter: Paul Hettich (DePaul University, IL)
Thursday, 2–2:50 p.m.
- Diversity Quiz Bowl
Host: Darren Ritzer (Winthrop University, SC)
Friday, 10–10:50 a.m.
Related Psi Chi News
- Faculty members who are interested in becoming more engaged with Psi Chi, consider running for the Psi Chi Southeastern Vice-President. The call for nominations opens November 1, 2015, and regional elections will take place this coming spring. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the position.
- Check out the many awards and grants available to Psi Chi members. Nominate your leaders, faculty advisor, and chapter!
- Travel grants are available to help Psi Chi student members attend SEPA and other professional conferences. We have recently streamlined the travel grant application for SEPA and have increased the available funds!
- Check out and/or submit to our two organizational journals: the Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research and Eye on Psi Chi.
Please be in touch if you have any questions or if I can do anything to assist you, and best wishes for a successful remainder of the semester,
Merry J. Sleigh, PhD
Psi Chi Southeastern Regional Vice-President
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Phone: (803) 323-2633
Fax: (803) 323-2371
* All scheduling subject to change. Visit HERE for the latest information.
Merry J. Sleigh, PhD
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, U.S. Virgin Islands, Virginia, West Virginia
University of Puerto Rico,
Río Piedras Campus