Dear Psi Chi members,
Greetings and welcome to the start of a new year! I’m writing with some updates regarding the upcoming Southeastern Psychological Association (SEPA) convention, as well as other news relevant to our region.
- The 2015 SEPA convention will be held from March 18–21, 2015, in Hilton Head, SC. Stop by our exhibit booth to say hello and join us at our Psi Chi programs. Learn more at www.sepaonline.com.
- Daryn Thompson and Will Ashley, the student members on our regional steering committee, are working to organize a social event for students at SEPA. Find out more through our regional Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/661683827208932/
- Faculty advisors should be on the look-out for an electronic invitation to our annual Faculty Appreciation Luncheon.
- I’d like to offer a special thanks to our 2014–2015 regional steering committee members. They have been hard at work reviewing SEPA awards and grants in addition to preparing for Psi Chi programming at the convention. This year’s members are: Will Ashley (Mississippi State University), Dr. Steven Berman (University of Central Florida–Daytona Beach), Dr. Gina Mariano (Troy University, AL), Dr. Maria Shpurik (Florida International University), and Daryn Thompson (LaGrange College, GA).
- Be aware that chapters are no longer required to fill out our annual report to be eligible for programs such as the Model Chapter Award. Instead, officers or advisors can now fulfill one of the requirements by submitting Chapter Activities Reports, which are short summaries published in Eye on Psi Chi.
- Travel grants are still available for Psi Chi members who plan to attend professional conferences this year. Thanks to our GEICO sponsorship, we have been able to increase our travel funding for students!
- Check out and/or submit to our two publications: the Psi Chi Journal of Psychological Research and Eye on Psi Chi. Submissions are welcome from all Psi Chi members.
- Stay active in the Psi Chi community all year with social media: on Facebook with the Central Office or the Southeastern Region, on LinkedIn, or on Twitter. Connect with nearby or distant chapters. Psi Chi is an international community; take advantage of that diversity.
Please be in touch if you have any questions or if I can do anything to assist you, and best wishes for a successful remainder of the semester,
Merry J. Sleigh, PhD
Psi Chi Southeastern Regional Vice-President
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Phone: (803) 323-2633
Fax: (803) 323-2371
Merry J. Sleigh, PhD
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, U.S. Virgin Islands, Virginia, West Virginia
University of Puerto Rico,
Río Piedras Campus